Back in September a man in Ontario named Maurice found out he won $6.1 million dollars with Lotto 649.
The plan was to share the winnings with his live in girlfriend at the time…
But instead, he packed up his belongings and moved out — taking the winning $6.1-million ticket with him.
Once his former girlfriend, found out, she alerted the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp and received an emergency court injunction to suspend the prize.
The prize has been under review since then.
This week the OLG said after reviewing the prize claim, it verified that the ticket in question was purchased by Maurice and will proceed to pay him one-half of the prize on or about December 30, 2017.
The agency says it will hold on to the other half for 45 days, during which Maurice and his ex-girlfriend who argues she’s owed half the winnings, can still settle the matter privately or decide to take part in the OLG’s arbitration process.