Give yourself a pat on the back if you’ve been Slurpee-ing it up for the past two decades.
For the 20th year in a row, Manitoba has been crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World. That’s two decades where Manitoba has had the highest average number of Slurpee cups sold per store in a region.
In honour of 7-Eleven Day (Thursday, July 11th), they’ll be giving away 900,000 free small birthday-sized Slurpees across the country in special 7-Eleven Day cups featuring photos of Slurpee fans.
A few interesting facts you may want to wow non-Winnipeggers with:
- Slurpee is the number one beverage served to women in Winnipeg’s maternity wards in the summer time
- Instead of giving flowers, people meet and greet friends and family at the airport by giving them Slurpee drinks
- Slurpee is often served at summer weddings
- People consume Slurpee drinks for breakfast year round
- As of July 2013, Winnipeg plays host to one of the top three Slurpee stores: Portage Avenue at #2!